.
Search results: 6
Sort by:
Date | Contenttype


    Bee and bumblebee begin field tests

    As part of a joint project with Vattenfall and ZAE Bayern, scientists from the TU Berlin have developed two new absorption chillers. The 50-kW unit, which the researchers have nicknamed Bee, and the larger 160-kW unit called Bumblebee use heat at a low temperature level for generating cooling energy. The prototypes are smaller, lighter and more powerful than comparable systems on the market. A field test is now starting.  more...
     
    Projektinfo 08/2013

    Intelligently controlling CHP plants

    If the wind only blows weakly and the sun does not shine much, the amount of electrical energy fed into the grid drops. The electricity prices then increase on the European Power Energy Exchange (EEX) in Paris. This is when around 800 mini-CHP plants receive the signal to increase their electricity production. The control room belonging to the Lichtblick energy provider controls the CHP plants distributed across Germany, which are linked to one another by radio contact.  more...
     

    On route to a low-energy urban district

    Redeveloping an urban district represents not just an architectural challenge - the tenants behind the facades must also be taken into account. Those involved in the "Weingarten 2020" research project are aiming to meet both demands. With the involvement of the Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems ISE, they have created the first passive high-rise building in a district of Freiburg. A further important milestone was the optimisation of the energy supplies.  more...
     
    Projektinfo 05/2012

    New approaches to supplying domestic energy

    Fuel cells have unique abilities: in contrast to other co-generation (CHP) plants, they directly convert the chemically bound energy of fuel sources such as hydrogen or natural gas without using a flame. If they are deployed in heating devices, they generate electricity and heat efficiently. Indeed, they are considerably more efficient than combining conventional electricity generation and condensing boilers.  more...
     

    Generating electricity and heat from lean gas

    Large volumes of carbon (coke) are used for the melting process in the cupola furnace, whereby a combustible process gas is formed as a by-product. This so-called cupola furnace gas has a low heating value and has previously been completely combusted for generating the hot blast in the cupola furnace's recuperator. However, in this process only around 35 % of the contained energy is used thermally. Now it is possible to utilise the remaining 65 % of the chemically bound energy that was previously not used in most foundries: a modified biogas combined heat and power plant runs with cupola furnace gas (CFG) from the melting furnace.  more...
     

    Transforming waste heat into electricity

    Anyone generating electricity or operating high-temperature industrial processes produces waste heat. This waste heat is often not utilised, since its economic use does not seem viable. Small plants using the Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) promise help here: they make the waste heat usable in the form of electricity, improve the cost-effectiveness and reduce CO2 emissions. Researchers from Saarland have developed an engine that uses low-temperature heat to generate electricity very efficiently for a large range of uses.  more...
     

notepad

Events

25.05.2014 - 07.10.2014
Berlin und weitere Städte der Partneruniversitäten

2-Grad-Campus - Forschen für den Klimaschutz
11.07.2014
Nürnberg

Photovoltaik und BHKW

Popular articles

Solar-active facade systems
Facade collectors with perspective
Intergration of regenerative power generators
Compressed air energy storage power plants
Storing heat and cold in a compact and demand-oriented manner
Latent heat storage in buildings
Energy storage for power grids
Storing wind energy underground